Monday, November 10, 2008

Words of Wisdom and Solace

I would like to thank Uncle Jim for posting this inspired quote given by L. Tom Perry, as it has enlightened me and renewed my eternal perspective, as my previously lengthy state of stress and anxiety held me back from experiencing the joys of life: "There are cycles of good and bad times, ups and downs, periods of joy and sadness, and times of plenty as well as scarcity. When our lives turn in an unanticipated and undesirable direction, sometimes we experience stress and anxiety. One of the challenges of this mortal experience is to not allow the stresses and strains of life to get the better of us—to endure the varied seasons of life while remaining positive, even optimistic." He then goes on to finish by saying,"...the best is yet to come."

I had the opportunity to teach Priesthood yesterday, which couldn't have come at a more opportune time for me, as the lesson was entitled "Stand Fast through the Storms of Life". Before preparing for the lesson, I had read the above quote on Jim's blog. Thanks to the quote, my heart and mind were open to the wise counsel and teachings of the prophet Joseph Smith, from which the lesson was based. I devoured the words of the lesson like one who is starving would gorge himself at a feast. I can't think of a lesson that opened my eyes more than this. I have quoted those passages that struck a chord in my heart:

“There is no safety, only in the arm of Jehovah. None else can deliver, and he will not deliver unless we do prove ourselves faithful to him in the severest trouble. For he that will have his robes washed in the blood of the Lamb must come up through great tribulation, even the greatest of all affliction.”

“The destinies of all people are in the hands of a just God, and He will do no injustice to any one; and this one thing is sure, that they who will live godly in Christ Jesus, shall suffer persecution; and before their robes are made white in the blood of the Lamb, it is to be expected, according to John the Revelator, they will pass through great tribulation.”

“Men have to suffer that they may come upon Mount Zion and be exalted above the heavens.”

“Trials will only give us the knowledge necessary to understand the minds of the ancients. For my part, I think I never could have felt as I now do, if I had not suffered the wrongs that I have suffered. All things shall work together for good to them that love God.”

"You will have all kinds of trials to pass through. And it is quite as necessary for you to be tried as it was for Abraham and other men of God, and... God will feel after you, and He will take hold of you and wrench your very heart strings, and if you cannot stand it you will not be fit for an inheritance in the Celestial Kingdom of God."

“The power of the Gospel will enable us to stand and bear with patience the great affliction that is falling upon us on all sides...."

"The harder the persecution the greater the gifts of God...."

“And as for the perils which I am called to pass through, they seem but a small thing to me, as the envy and wrath of man have been my common lot all the days of my life. … Deep water is what I am wont to swim in. It all has become a second nature to me; and I feel, like Paul, to glory in tribulation; for to this day has the God of my fathers delivered me out of them all, and will deliver me from henceforth; for behold, and lo, I shall triumph over all my enemies, for the Lord God hath spoken it.”

“Remember not to murmur at the dealings of God with His creatures. You are not as yet brought into as trying circumstances as were the ancient Prophets and Apostles. Call to mind a Daniel, the three Hebrew children [Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego], Jeremiah, Paul, Stephen, and many others, too numerous to mention, who were stoned, sawn asunder, tempted, slain with the sword, and [who] wandered about in sheep skins and goat skins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented, of whom the world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and in mountains, and hid in dens and caves of the earth; yet they all obtained a good report through faith; and amidst all their afflictions they rejoiced that they were counted worthy to receive persecutions for Christ’s sake.

“We know not what we shall be called to pass through before Zion is delivered and established; therefore, we have great need to live near to God, and always to be in strict obedience to all His commandments, that we may have a conscience void of offense toward God and man."

“All difficulties which might and would cross our way must be surmounted. Though the soul be tried, the heart faint, and the hands hang down, we must not retrace our steps; there must be decision of character.”

“I know that the cloud will burst, and Satan’s kingdom be laid in ruins, with all his black designs; and that the Saints will come forth like gold seven times tried in the fire, being made perfect through sufferings and temptations, and that the blessings of heaven and earth will be multiplied upon their heads; which may God grant for Christ’s sake.”

“Stand fast, ye Saints of God, hold on a little while longer, and the storm of life will be past, and you will be rewarded by that God whose servants you are, and who will duly appreciate all your toils and afflictions for Christ’s sake and the Gospel’s. Your names will be handed down to posterity as Saints of God.”

George A. Smith, who served as a counselor to President Brigham Young, received the following counsel from the Prophet Joseph Smith at a time of great difficulty: “He told me I should never get discouraged, whatever difficulties might surround me. If I was sunk in the lowest pit of Nova Scotia and all the Rocky Mountains piled on top of me, I ought not to be discouraged but hang on, exercise faith, and keep up good courage and I should come out on the top of the heap at last.”


After teaching the lesson, I couldn't help but think that my misery, stress, and anxiety is a blessing rather than a curse. The spirit continued to assure me that I am being tested with afflictions, because the Lord has blessings in store for me and my family. I must rise up and face these afflictions with hope, faith, and gratitude, as they are for my own good. I do know that "the best is yet to come."

2 comments:

Heywood Clan said...

WOW!!! I am so proud of you sweetheart!! You are one amazing man and I'm so thankful that YOU are my husband!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather Momma said...

This really was good for me to read, thanks for sharing and for choosing to rise above.