Monday, September 22, 2008

More stuff I've remembered...

63. I saved Scott Johnson from drowning in a pool. Both Scott and I had hot dates this evening (some time in the summer of '96). Our last stop was the pool at our apartment complex (The Elms, one block south of the BYU campus). As the girls went back to their place to get changed, Scott and I were already in the pool, and having a contest to see who could swim the most laps under water without coming up for air. Scott started first. At the end of his third lap, he came up for air at the deep end and immediately sunk down to the bottom of the pool. I remember thinking that that was odd. Why did he do that? He was laying on the bottom of the pool, for a good minute, with his hands crossed over his chest. Had he not come up for a breath of air, I would have immediately jumped into the pool after him. 30 more seconds go by and I was really starting to worry at this point. He didn't budge. Thankfully it was nighttime, and the pool was lit up, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see him as well. My instincts took over and I dove into the pool after him, half expecting him to grab me when I got to his body. He still didn't move. With all my might, I grabbed him and pushed his body up toward the surface (all 6-foot-6, 230 pounds of him). When I got to the surface he was faced down in the water, but I couldn't roll him over, as he was full of water and just too heavy. I screamed for help! Fortunately, there were a few guys in the shallow end, and a girl who was a registered nurse (who just happened to be visiting that night) that came to help me. It took all of us to get his body out of the water. I was in such shock, there was no time to panic. The girl immediately started doing CPR, but there was no response. "Come on Scott!" I shouted. Ten minutes prior to this, we were laughing and having fun with our new hot dates. But at that moment time stood still as Scott's blue, lifeless body lay next to the pool before me. All I remember is that the girl kept saying, "he has no pulse, he has no pulse." I was crying. My best friend was dead before me, and there was nothing I could do to help. Just then, someone gave me oil and asked if I wanted to give him a blessing. That same person annointed Scott, and I administered, crying. I cried out the words, "You will be made whole," and immediately he started choking. He coughed up a ton water. I thought he had thrown up. At the same time, the paramedics came in the gate, assessed him quickly, and took him off to the hospital. Today, Scott is a married veteran, a dentist, and a father of three children.

64. I was once engaged to a girl who was engaged to another man at the same time (not many people know of this story). Yep, she was a hot latina girl who broke my heart. Freakin' beaner women! (No offense mom) I'm so glad this happened though, otherwise I wouldn't be married to Amy.

65. I dove off a milk truck while it was driving down the street. My uncle Jim used to be a milkman. He invited cousin John and I to go with him one morning on one of his routes. As he approached one of the homes on his route, he slowed down, and John flew out like Superman landing on the lawn like a pro. I thought it was cool and wanted to try it. I waited for my turn to come. Jim turned down a street, slowed down, and I dove... Ouch! I landed on my face and slid in the grass about 10 feet. Just as I'm getting over the pain and shock of the impact of the dive, I look up to see Jim and John driving up the street as if they didn't know I was left behind. I freakin' dove out at the wrong house! They didn't even stop for me. I then had to limp my way up the street to where they were. They still laugh at me to this day.

66. I used to play most of the brass instruments (french horn, trumpet, baritone, trombone, and tuba). I began playing the french horn in jr. high, which is the most difficult brass instrument. Since it is the most difficult though, it helped me learn the other instruments. I played tuba in the concert band my freshman and sophmore year; and trombone in the jazz band during my sophmore year. My junior year, we didn't have a bass player, so Dr. Lavallee asked me if I wanted to try playing jazz bass. I was able to pick it up quickly, and that same year we took first in all the competitions in California. We were then invited to go to Orlando, Florida for a National competition. Out of 50+ bands from all over the US, we placed 1st! It was one of the most exhilarating moments of my life. Hesperia High School was actually famous for a while. In fact, people moved to Hesperia from out of state, just so their kid could be in the band. I miss those days. Unfortunately now the band is just your ordinary high school band. Oh, I forgot to mention that same year we also made a CD, and sold over 10,o00 copies.

No comments: